Coronavirus Update #2

Coronavirus update:

As of 3/19/2020, California Governor Gavin Newsom signed a statewide Shelter in Place order that will remain in place until further notice. The order prohibits, among other things, public gatherings of ten or more people. Without the ability to even meet with local officials to continue planning the 2020 Mountains 2 Beach Marathon and Half and 5k, we are left with no choice but to cancel this year’s race.

 Many of you have reached out to us here at M2B HQ pleading with us not to cancel, and we sincerely appreciate your passion. Nothing is more important to us than the safety and wellbeing of our runners, volunteers, staff and our community. We are all feeling the gravity of this situation and are not taking it lightly. We cannot express enough our gratitude to the thousands of runners who choose to join us every year. On behalf of the event, and our charities who have received nearly $500,000 since we first started, thank you for your patience and continued trust. Rest assured; we will be back once this worldwide pandemic has subsided.

What about my Fee?!

Now the question so many of you will ask. “What about my entry fee?” and rightfully so. Perhaps never more apparent to runners of events, the fact of the matter is that the funds are mostly, if not entirely, spent weeks and months before race day. This makes refunds and deferrals very problematic. With that said, we here at M2B will not simply turn a cold shoulder to you, our loyal runners.

Simply put, we have not yet determined how we will handle refunds or deferrals. We saw the writing on the wall last week and began planning for a potential cancellation or postponement. Unfortunately, these things proceed at a snail’s pace. But we will sort this out and notify our runners as quickly as possible how we intend to make you whole. This may be through refunds, deferrals, or some combination thereof.

Virtual option?

Many events are turning to virtual races, which may work for them, but we understand our draw for so many runners is to qualify for Boston and New York and not just get the shirts, medals, or photos. We get it. Therefore, we will not pursue a virtual option.

What can I do now?

For now, please refrain from emailing the event about refunds or deferrals. We will notify everyone once we have that sorted out.

Please familiarize yourself with the World Health Organization’s  suggested safety precautions including regular hand washing, covering mouth and nose when coughing and sneezing, and avoiding close contact with anyone showing signs of illness.

Ben DeWitt-Race Director